Yesterday, Kyle was whining about how I've been spending all my time on crafts and not enough time keeping him fat and happy. Yeesh, what a baby. Maybe he should make me fat and happy instead of playing video games on weekends. *hint hint* Yeah, I know, wishful thinking. Anyway, last night, I made this Chocolate Mocha Pudding Cake for dessert.
Chocolate Mocha Pudding Cake (serves 6)
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour an 8" by 8" square pan.
- Cream 1/4 cup butter with 3/4 cup granulated sugar until light and creamy. Add milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Mix 1 cup flour with 3 tbsp cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to wet ingredients, mix until just combined.
- Use a spatula to transfer the batter into the baking pan, and spread evenly.
- Mix together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of cocoa. Spoon this mixture evenly over the first layer.
- Next, place the espresso powder in a small bowl. Add hot water, and stir briefly to dissolve the powder. Stir in the 1 tbsp of butter, until the butter is completely melted. Pour this mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes; the cake should spring back when touched.
- Cool 30 minutes before serving. To serve: Cut into squares. Place each square on an individual dessert plate, and spoon some chocolate pudding around the cake. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
The cake separates into a cake layer on top, and a pudding layer on the bottom as it bakes (like the more well-known lemon version). The espresso flavor really comes through in the pudding, and is balanced out by the chocolate cake. As with most things chocolate, it's best with an ice cold glass of milk.
I have a good idea brewing for Illustration Friday (this week's theme is sacrifice). I'm going to start working on it after dinner tonight. I hope I can finish my piece in time! Anyway, time to eat breakfast and then hit the subway. And since I know you wake up every Monday singing and dancing (yeah, right), Happy Monday all!